Our mission is to encourage and support the comprehensive integration of high quality mindfulness-based social and emotional learning programs in elementary schools to improve student well-being and create kinder, more inclusive school climates. We accomplish our mission through:
The Peace of Mind Program for Schools
Developing and sharing the Peace of Mind Program, including curricula, storybooks, resources and training that reflect our deep in-classroom experience, the experience of our pilot schools, and current research.
Outreach and Community Building
Sharing our experience of the transformative effect of comprehensive, school-wide mindfulness-based SEL across multiple platforms as a means to inspire, educate and support others with similar goals.
Building and supporting the Peace of Mind Community through Community of Practice gatherings, online forums, partnerships.
Because we believe…
- Now more than ever, it is critical to teach our children the skills to manage their emotions, develop compassion for themselves and others, and to solve conflicts peacefully.
- Mindfulness is the essential foundation for students’ acquisition and mastery of social and emotional skills and conflict resolution tools.
- Children who develop the habits of mindfulness and compassion toward themselves and others are able to engage more fully in learning.
- Teaching school-wide mindfulness-based social and emotional learning may be the only effective solution to eliminating bullying and violence in our schools.
- The most effective mindfulness-based SEL programs are comprehensive, school-wide, year-after-year programs that are integrated into the entire school building. These programs can have transformative effects on school climate and student happiness.
- In-classroom experience matters as the foundation for an effective curriculum. It is important to us that our program is based on what we have seen work for our students over the past decade and what is working in other schools as well as current research.
- We must be continually learning. We have collected three years of pre and post survey data at our Peace of Mind Schools in the Washington DC area, and use the results to continue to improve our program.
- When professional educators bring their own passions, experience, and perspective to this work, it grows stronger. Peace of Mind is one good starting point for this journey.
- We must model what we teach. We strive to work mindfully with focus, compassion, empathy, and the intent to make common cause with others.
Ultimately, our vision is….
- Educators, Parents and Community organizations work together to support mindfulness-based SEL in schools so that positive school climates become the norm and bullying and school violence become the rare exceptions.
- All students in our schools learn tools to help them notice and manage their emotions, are supported in developing their capacities for kindness and empathy toward themselves and others and are able to solve conflicts peacefully.
- Educators feel supported in bringing mindfulness-based social and emotional learning to their students in a way that works best for them.
Peace of Mind is a mission-driven 501(c)3 non-profit organization.
To learn more about Peace of Mind in action, check out these three videos